Make the most out of your scented candles
Used properly, scented candles are a great way to enhance a space. Often, however, an overwhelming mix of scents can be more than most people can take. From top tips to enhance the life of your candles, to advice on candle burning etiquette – we share everything you need to know about making the most of your scented candles.
Looking after your candle
- You unwrap your new candles and take in the delightful scent… who wouldn’t want the beautiful tones to last? While all of our candles offer great burning times, rich in stunning scents, there are a few things you can do to make the scent last.
- Prevent uneven burning by ensuring your first burn is between 1 – 4 hours. You need to wait until the entire top layer becomes a pool of liquid wax. This will ensure that the candle continues to burn that way instead of tunneling, promising extra hours of superb scents!Trim the wick after each burn to remove the burnt tip. This will ensure that the wick continues to light effectively and help release that yummy scent.
- Always burn your candle in a stable place – away from drafts (for example windows and doors.) A direct flow of air can make a candle burn unevenly, meaning you lose out on a few hours of scent.
Candle dos and don’ts
- DON’T mix two types of scented candles in one space, even if they have the same scent, as one brand’s version of lavender can be different to another’s. It’s like mixing together two brands of chocolate – seems like a good idea until you try it!
- DON’T use scented candles around food as they can interfere with the senses and the tastebuds. This is particularly true of vanilla scents. Instead, create that ambience with unscented candles – which help create the right atmosphere without putting guests off their food.
- DO think about the occasion and the space. When picking a scent consider the type of atmosphere you want to create. For a romantic dinner date you might want to opt for something like More scented candles, while a chill out evening is best accompanied with Blush scented candles, and to get the party started Dance scented candles have a great uplifting scent. If the scent from a candle is very strong or long lasting, light it a few hours before your party and blow out soon after guests arrive. A candle doesn’t need to live in the main room either. Bathrooms are a great place to pop your candles, as are halls, doorways or anywhere people will walk through. Subtle scents work best.
- DO get creative with your candles. Our scented candles are a great way to add extra charm and style to your home. They look great near a mirror, coloured glass, or plants, as well as darker corners you don’t mind drawing attention to. You can also group candles together to create a wow-factor focal point.
Have we missed out any top tips? If you’ve got some great ideas for making the most out of your scented candles, leave them below. Alternatively you can tweet your tips to us @MeltCandles.